There is a big debate (and some polarising viewpoints) out there over which seafood can be eaten uncooked. In this blog, we will settle the debate — we will help you determine which fish and shellfish can be eaten raw and which require you to break out the pots and pans. Try our Seafood Home Delivery service.
Best Seafood to Eat Raw
- Tuna: Tuna is perhaps the most popular seafood you can find in the U.K. that you can also eat raw. It has a firm and meaty texture with a mild flavour profile that lends itself well to a variety of sauces, seasonings, and marinades.
- Salmon: Salmon is an unsung hero in the world of raw seafood. It is smooth and rich, with a buttery texture and a mild flavour. It is also popular for curing and pickling — however, such cooking methods are not always considered raw.
- Flounder: Flounder (or fluke) is a raw wonder-fish. It is delicate and tender, and it is pretty mild and lean.
- Sea Bass: Sea Bass is another popular raw seafood option. Similar to flounder, it is mild, delicate, and low in fat.
- Snapper: The unassuming snapper is another member of the whitefish family. Snapper has a little more ‘firmness’ than flounder and sea bass, making it an excellent candidate for ceviche (cured in fresh citrus juice).
Seafood that Must be Cooked
- Crab: A raw crab is pretty much impossible to eat. Crab meat is so rich in moisture that separating it from the shell is pointless. Most ‘raw’ crab recipes you see on the Internet are pickled at great lengths — that is, the acids (vinegar, wine, or citrus) in the recipe gently ‘cook’ the meat over time. Safety is also a concern. Crabs, being ocean’s scavengers, are not picky about what they eat for dinner. Safety first — cook your crabbies.
- Shrimp: Shrimp is another seafood that falls into the “why bother” camp when it comes to eating it uncooked. Although some sushi recipes use raw shrimp, the texture and flavour profile are substantially improved by cooking. Leave the raw shrimp to the sushi chefs.
- Lobster: Lobsters should be cooked in the same way as crabs and shrimps are. When served raw, a lobster is just not that texturally appealing. Also, like crabs, they are bottom-dwelling creatures. Play it safe and cook your lobsters!
- Crawfish: Again, eating raw crawfish is a major compromise to your food’s texture, flavour, and safety.
Do you need help sourcing all of the delicious seafood listed in this blog? We have got you covered! All of our seafood will be delivered straight to your doorstep when you schedule it! To browse Seafood Direct’s fine selection of nutritious, sustainable and mouth-watering fresh seafood, please stop by our website today! And if you have any questions about our online seafood delivery service, call us at 01472 566000 or write to us at email@example.com. One of our representatives will get back to you shortly! We offer seafood home delivery throughout the U.K.